Monday, May 21, 2007

"Do As I Say, Not As I Do"

Want to read a real geodrama?

The owner of a geocache called Rock House Cave discovered that some cachers had taken an easier approach than she intended, so she deleted their "Found It" logs. A heated debated arose, during which I placed a note on the cache page (which the cache owner later deleted):

My impression of a true 5/5 cache is one that doesn't allow any potential for a cacher to sign the log without overcoming 5/5 obstacles. A fair number of my more difficult caches incorporate little-known and/or difficult-to-discover approaches that are easier than the more obvious ways of getting there. If a cacher stumbles upon, or studies their way to a more efficient approach than I revealed in the cache description, more power to them.

Jeremy himself (what's up with his boring profile page?) even weighed in.

I came across an interesting tidbit on how the cache owner in question had committed a similar offense on a puzzle cache a little over a year ago, so I placed another short-lived log (see the screenshot) for the 25+ cachers who were watching the cache page. As of this writing, I have received positive comments from 17 of those cachers.

You can read more of the subsequent exchange on the Emerald Valley Cachers forum.

All I can add at this point is that, although I have never found a Chubby Forest Monkey cache, I had hoped to find as many of her remote ones as possible. Until now.

1 comment:

Mossy Mom said...

Sounds like they drove to the cache instead of hiking and that operating a motorized vehicle in there is tresspassing. More people would try driving in there if their logs were allowed and then the cache might be removed by the land owners.