Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Ultimate Gas-Saving Tip

I read this in a forum I participate in, and had to share it here. Disclaimer: the below post is to be taken tongue-in-cheek (like most of this blog):

"I've built a simple tow-hook arrangement that's mounted to the front bumper of my car and is spring-loaded to try and extend forward. I control it with a little cable that comes back into the cabin of my Chrysler so I can deploy it to hook the rear of a semi-truck or large SUV by letting out the tension.

Like any eco-conscious driver, I just pull up close behind my target, let unhook the cable from the clip on my driver-side door and carefully let it out. The A-frame swings up and forwards, until it almost touches the vehicle in front of me. Some experimentation and trial & error has brought me to a half-hook/cup arrangement that settles easily over large trailer hooks or commercial trailer mounts and holds itself in place quite nicely. Once down, I can pop the transmission into neutral and relax.

The key is to keep your engine running so the transmission stays lubricated, of course.

Q: Why don't you use a rope or harpoon or something?
A: Well, that's just silly, you then need to watch for braking so you can avoid ramming the back of your quarry. With this, he provides your braking too.

Q: How do you avoid debris being kicked up into your paint?
A: The only danger of this really exists during the docking maneuver. Afterwards, you're within the laminar flow and subsequently safe from most of this.

Q: Isn't this illegal?
A: The law is quite firm about following at unsafe distances, yes, but once you're connected, you fall under statutes that regulate towing. There's nothing in there about getting towed without the knowledge of the driver!

I dream of someday seeing long caravans of stealthy eco-towers drifting down the highway, attached to each other and being pulled by an unknowingly helpful Humvee. The serpentine motion of such a construct changing lanes would be beautiful to behold indeed.

No comments: