Saturday, July 05, 2008

Rest Stop Recon Declared "Retarded and Juvenile"

I received a message regarding my Rest Stop Recon cache from JFtrochez:

"Perhaps you should consider revising this cache description so that it sounds substantially less retarded and juvenile. All the other caches in this neighborhood were kid friendly and I had my 8 year old nephew thinking we would be able to get to this one. I happily accept these challenges, however, about 100 yards from it, my nephew called it quits on me.

Please do other people a favor and make sure you note that this is NOT at all a family friendly spot."

My friendly reply:

JFtrochez:

I'm sorry you feel disappointed with your experience with my "Rest Stop Recon" cache. You are a new and relatively inexperienced geocacher, and are obviously feeling very emotional and traumatized about your failed attempt to find it, so I will forgive your insults. In nearly two years of this cache's existence, you are the only cacher to express comments so “retarded and juvenile,” as you put it.

Both the description and attributes, as well as the YouTube videos about this cache make it pretty clear as to the terrain challenges represented by this cache, so I see no need to revise it.

Just so you know, kids younger than your nephew, including my son, who is also eight-years-old, have successfully negotiated their way to this cache. I would encourage you to try my cache again, but I'm actually more inclined to encourage you to simply ignore it. On that note, I encourage you to ignore all of my caches, as they are not all designed or intended to appeal to all types of cachers. I do own a number of "kid friendly" caches, but I wouldn't want you to experience anything unexpected and thus feel the need for more emotional outbursts. That approach would be a lot easier on both of us.

Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings. Stay safe, and keep on caching!

- Pablo Mac

No comments: