Tuesday, November 03, 2015

My First Love and First Kiss

When I was 4 or 5 years old, a cute little girl next door named Alison stole my heart. We quickly became “boyfriend and girlfriend” and we played “wedding” a lot. Of course, when the “preacher” announced that the husband could kiss his wife, well… Alison and I are still friends.

I had a few girlfriends growing up, and even a short-lived marriage right when I joined the Marine Corps. One day in the barracks I saw a new WM (Woman Marine) that all the other guys were talking about, and I just knew I would never stand a chance with her. I didn’t even dare try to talk with her. One day I went to the barracks laundry room to wash my uniforms, and found a load someone left in the washer. It was a female’s clothing, but I didn’t let that bother me. I just transferred the load to the dryer without ogling the panties (too much), and went on about my business. And then she walked in. Before I could explain that I had moved her clothes into the dryer, and did NOT fondle her gear, she smiled, said she had seen me through the door, and thanked me. And then she hung around and chatted while our laundry finished up. That simple and unassuming few minutes together gave me the courage to ask her out to dinner… and she said yes! Thus followed a magical few months that I will always remember as my first real love… until she graduated Marine Corps Combat Engineer School (at the top of her class!), and she moved back to her hometown… and promptly broke my heart.

No comments: